BBHSV Recipe: By the Side of the Road B&B Pancakes
We love pancakes. Really though, who doesn’t look a delicious helping of hot, griddle cakes, dripping with butter and syrup and just waiting for you to sink your teeth in for the first bite. But you haven’t really tried pancakes until you’ve tasted country pancakes with orange cardamom syrup! This recipe is a favorite at BBHSV member By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast and was even finalist in the Best B&B Breakfast Tournament: 2014. Want to try it out for yourself? Here’s the recipe, originally published on BedandBreakfast.com:
- 2 Eggs
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Corn Starch
- Zest of one orange
- 10-12 Fresh sliced strawberries
- For the Pancakes: Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended. Put the butter and the milk in a saucepan, and warm over low heat until the butter is melted. Set aside and allow to cool a little. Once it has cooled a bit, stir the butter mixture into the eggs and mix well.
- Put the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are well moistened. (Lumps are good.) Set aside batter.
- For the Syrup: Mix the dry ingredients together, and slowly stir in liquids and zest. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. When thickened, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- To Serve: Bake 4-inch pancakes on a 350 degree griddle (makes 12). Serve the pancakes stacked with a few fresh strawberries and two tablespoons of syrup atop each one.
Eat and enjoy! (Want to try a couple more BBHSV members’ pancakes? We have recipes for Banana Cream Pancakes and Apple Crisp Pancakes!) To make a reservation at By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast, click here.